About This Project
About the project
Sekenani Primary School is one of ABW’s most recent projects thanks to the support of Gord and Kathy Bontje. Located just outside of the Maasai Mara National Reserve, this Primary and ECD school serves a large community.
- Electricity: All permanent classrooms, administration offices, and 2 girls’ dorms have solar power. The panels do not work for long periods of time as they did when new.
- Water: Piped from county, but turned off regularly, especially on weekends. Need additional storage tanks. Water is also collected from a river about 500 m away. The school has bore hole, but it is currently not operational (mechanical problem).
- Meal Program: Boarders pay fees for 3 meals per day. When government funding is provided, the school provides meals for other students. Funding was received for one term in 2016.
- Library: Designated room for textbooks and reading books, but not large enough for tables or for class use.
- During this school year English and Kishwahili seminars were provided to Class 1 and 2 teachers. Also, 2 teachers were sent to a music workshop in February.
- The Head Teacher noted that when comparing boarding students with day students, the performance of the boarding students exceeds that of the day students. He thought the reasons for this included the facts that the boarders had more reading time, received 3 regular meals, and had less absenteeism.